Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Catching UP

The last several weeks have been whirlwind. Sorry about the list, but I don't have time or energy to make this any more coherent...

Move - the move went well. We're basically unpacked. I had hoped to have everything painted by now, but I wasn't very realistic when I dreamt that dream. The kitchen is pretty much done; it's lacking a valance, but that will come with time. See picture below.
One of the biggest adjustments so far with home ownership, for us at least, is remembering to take the trash on Friday mornings. We've always lived in a place with a dumpster so this is definitely a shift for us.

My parents came to visit the second weekend in November. Because we'd only been in our new place for a week, we didn't do much beyond house stuff. We had a great visit with them, though. My dad and brother recently put all of our 8mm home videos (for me it's birth to age 7) on DVD, so Dad brought me a copy. It was pretty cool to watch (especially with Dad and Scott's running commentary in the background).

The weekend after that found us camping with friends. We had a great time with 4 other couples and their kids. It's t he first time J and I have ever camped with other people and we hope to do it again soon.

The following weekend J's brother came out for a visit. He stayed until time to go M&D's wedding, went up with J and their mom, came back after the wedding and caught a flight out of Midway the next day. J and his brother are super close, and Jer is really fun to have around so yet, again, a fine time was had by all.

I left on Tuesday before the wedding with the bride, sister of the bride and mother of the bride. It was a beautiful week. The weather was perfect. Outside of the fact that the wedding day had been forecasted at 50 degrees and ended up being in the mid-eighties, everything went as planned.

Both families came several days before the wedding for a sort of family reunion. It was really good to see everyone and to meet a few cousins I hadn't met before.

The wedding itself was gorgeous - just beautiful. Unfortunately, I was too busy during the ceremony to take pictures so I have none to post, but I'll track some down here soon.

Last weekend weekend we painted our kitchen. It took a week to get the wallpaper off and to patch the wall where paint had peeled off, but on Sunday we finally got to paint and now my kitchen is exactly the color of split pea soup. I didn't realize this until the night before last when I was eating split pea soup. I think if the color had been called pea green, I may not have chosen it. Fortunately it wasn't because I really like it.

This weekend, my dear friend and old roommate,
Deb, is coming to visit with her fiancee. Deb lives in California (since January) and is so on to move to Madison. Lucky us, we get her back so soon! Anyway, this is the first time I'll get to spend any significant time with the beau, so on top of getting to see my friend, I can't wait to get to know her guy.

Well, sorry there's not more detail, but I was afraid it would be a while if I waited until I had more time to post.

Here are some pictures to leave you with. I'm including the short hair pic that I promised in my last post:


Not the best hair pic, but you get the idea.


I thought this was cute. My cat is sitting in a basket looking out the window at another cat that happens to be laying on the roof outside our guest room window at our old place.

I just thought this one was fun...

Aulie cousins cheering for the Aulie's at the Family Reunion before the Aulie/Elsen Merger (aka M&D's wedding) M is in the middle.


My pea green kitchen (part of it anyway)

Believe it or not, this was totally unstaged...


No comments: